It’s summertime and that means it’s time for vacations! Whether it’s a sandy beach or a bustling city, summer vacations are an opportunity for creating memories. One memory you don’t want is coming home to find you’ve been burglarized! Here are 5 tips to help keep your home safe and secure while you’re away on vacation.
- Don’t post on social media. In this age of sharing, it may be tempting to “check-in” or post photos at your various destinations. Keep in mind that not all your “friends” on social media are really friends. Sharing locations or photos can broadcast that your home is vacant and an easy target – wait until you get back home to post.
- Enlist your neighbor. Burglars will try to verify if someone is home by looking for cars or ringing your doorbell. They will also check by seeing how long a flyer stays on your door or how full your mailbox gets. Having a trusted neighbor park in your driveway and check on your mail are simple ways to help your home look occupied!
- Lock up. It may seem super obvious; BUT, be sure to check that all doors and windows are shut and locked before you head out. Double-check that your garage door is closed. If you’re leaving any vehicles behind, check that no valuables are visible inside and that the doors are locked.
- Light it up. Burglars hate the spotlight. Stop would-be burglars with motion-activated lights on the outside of your home. Consider timers for indoor lights or go a step further with smart home automation control through automatic scenes and devices controlled remotely.
- Consider a monitored security system. This tip takes a little planning and can be the most beneficial. Alarm sirens scare away burglars before they take action and monitored alarm signals notify authorities (and you!) of threats. Plus, you can have total control from anywhere with Resideo’s mobile app, Total Connect.
Want help protecting your home? Give us a call at 615.422.5276 or connect with us through the contact form!