Your home is a safe haven for you and your family – but how do you keep it secure? You might have appropriate fencing installed, lock your doors every night, or even have an alarm system. But what about video? Maybe you have a couple security cameras hanging outside your home or shop, but modern video solutions have come so far in the last several years, allowing homeowners to be more proactive than reactive when protecting their families. Here are five key advantages of smart video surveillance you don’t want to miss out on.
1) Intelligent motion detection. Why check a camera’s feed after the fact when you can intervene and stop an incident before it happens? Modern residential security cameras can detect suspicious movement and send an alert to your phone with the ability to view the feed right then and there, and the sensitivity is impressive. For example, Alarm.com outdoor cameras and video doorbells are able to distinguish between human, animal, and vehicle movement – so you’ll get an alert if there’s an intruder outside your back door, but not if a tree is twisting in the wind. We like to think of them as AI security guards keeping watch over your home.
2) Integration with smart lights. If you’re interested in hopping on the smart home train, consider this hack for when you’re on vacation: if you’re out of town, program your system so that if your camera detects a prowler, a light goes on inside the house to give the appearance of someone being home. Then again, you could be more direct and just have the outside lights lend them the stage after being detected! Either solution is a fantastic deterrent.
3) Answer the door – even when you’re not home. Video doorbells are all the rage these days, but Alarm.com takes them to the next level with an app that allows you to see who rang from anywhere. You can also use two-way audio to talk to the person on your porch! Say hi to your kid as they come home from school, or tell the delivery man where to leave the package. If you have a compatible smart lock, you could even briefly unlock your door so he could place your package safely inside. Learn more about why video doorbells are an essential piece of the smart, safe home here!
4) Turn your focus inward. By which we mean using indoor cameras to keep an eye on things while you’re out and about! Indoor security cameras are great for monitoring pets, young children with babysitters, or even elderly parents. It is possible to stay connected to home even when you can’t physically be there – smart video can show you the way.
5) Convenient app control. Alarm.com’s app is famously intuitive, attractive, and easy to use, which is what earned it a 4.7 star rating over 60K reviews on the App Store. According to The Home Security Advisor, this app is “the yardstick by which all other competitors are measured.” Check your camera feeds, get customized notifications, and control integrations with your security system and smart home features all from the palm of your hand!
Security cameras have come a long way since the days of checking the tapes! Complete your home security strategy with the smartest video solutions around, and do more to keep your home and family safe while worrying less. For the best experience, choose an expert installer like Preventia Security – we’re locally owned and operated by experts in the smart security industry, and we can help you get set up with the best solution for your home. Give us a call at (615) 422-5276 to learn more!